DIY Lip Balm in Three Scents
Making your own lip balm is easy and uses just a few ingredients. With this simple recipe, you can add extra elements to make all kinds of variations. And packaging them in tiny tins makes them easy to carry or give as gifts!
Most lip balm recipes use two main types of ingredients: wax or butter and carrier oil. For this version, we used organic cosmetic-grade beeswax pellets. You can also grate solid beeswax bars, but be sure they are safe for cosmetic use. We also used coconut oil, which melts at a low temperature but also solidifies quickly.
The scents in this recipe collection include honey citrus, cinnamon spice, and strawberry toaster pastry. Use them as starting points and then try other food and cosmetic safe oils and mix-ins.
Working with the small quantities listed will fill four to five 0.5-ounce containers. Buying larger amounts of the ingredients is usually more cost-effective and you can use them for making things like reusable food wraps or cold-process soaps
This is a fun project for teens to do and even works well for birthday parties or other gatherings. Just be sure to use care when heating the wax and oil. It melts at a low temperature, but the handle of the measuring cup can still get hot as you work.
What You’ll Need
Equipment / Tools
- Glass measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Chopstick or craft stick
- 1 Tablespoon cosmetic-grade beeswax
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 15 to 20 Drops flavor or essential oils
- Mini containers
Prepare Supplies for a Basic Recipe
To make simple lip balm, you’ll melt and mix one part beeswax pellets or shavings and two parts coconut oil. Add some essential oil or flavor oil. Pour into containers and wait for it to cool and set up.
- Melt the BeeswaxPlace one tablespoon of beeswax pellets in a glass measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Give it a stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. Add in two tablespoons of coconut oil and stir.Microwave for 30 seconds and stir the mixture again. You will most likely need to microwave for another 30 seconds and then stir. When the wax is dissolved, stir in the extra ingredients. Be careful, as the measuring cup handle may be hot!
- Pour Into ContainersCarefully pour the hot liquid into small containers and wait for it to cool and solidify.TipInstead of using small open tins, you can also buy empty twist-up tubes to fill. For these, use a syringe for filling instead of trying to pour them.
Citrus Lip Balm Recipe
- Prepare the MixtureStart with the basic recipe of beeswax and coconut oil. Add about 20 drops of orange essential oil.Stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey. Mix until the honey blends with the other ingredients. You may want to microwave the mixture for 30 seconds to help melt the honey.
- Fill Your ContainersPour the mixture into the containers, stirring between each pour to ensure that it doesn’t separate.As it cools, the lip balm will become more opaque. Wait at least 30 minutes before you use the lip balm.
Cinnamon Spice Lip Balm Recipe
- Prepare IngrdientsStart with the basic recipe of beeswax and coconut oil. Add 10 to 15 drops of cinnamon oil and 1 to 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (this is a pre-mixed combination of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger).
- Stir WellStir the mixture well. The spices tend to sink to the bottom, but they will mix in and give the lip balm a deep brown color. This color won’t really show as you use it.
- Fill the ContainersPour the lip balm mixture into the containers, stirring between each pour to keep the spices evenly distributed.
Strawberry Toaster Pastry Lip Balm Recipe
- Prepare Your MixtureUse the basic starter recipe of beeswax and coconut oil. Measure a heaping tablespoon of freeze-dried strawberries.Chop and crush the strawberries until they are fine crumbles.
- Add the Flavored OilAdd the freeze-dried strawberries and about 20 drops of strawberry flavor oil to the base mix and stir well.
- Fill Your ContainersPour the strawberry toaster pastry lip balm into the containers, stirring between each pour.
After the lip balm is all set up, the warmth of your finger will soften it enough to apply on your lips or even on your hands.
Make one scent for yourself or a whole bunch and use them as party favors or little gifts for friends. You could even make some lip scrub in a matching scent so you can keep your lips smooth and healthy.