How to Make an Easy Origami Flower
This origami lily flower is easy to make with one sheet of square paper. This traditional origami lily flower looks lovely on its own or in a bouquet with other origami flowers. Try creating them in a few different colors and then use them in these creative ways:
- If you need a last-minute present for a birthday or a finishing touch for a gift-wrapped present, use a few simple origami flowers to brighten up any gift.
- String a bunch of origami flowers together in a paper garland as a beautiful decoration for any party.
- Create a paper bouquet for someone special. This is especially nice if it’s for someone who might be allergic to flowers. Unlike live flowers, a paper bouquet will last forever.
You will want to start with origami paper that has color on both sides. If you use origami paper that is only colored on one side, you will see the white side when you make this origami lily. It is recommended to use paper that is at least 15 x 15 centimeters to start with, so you have plenty of paper for folding. After you feel comfortable with the folds and design, you can move to smaller paper if you prefer.
Watch Now: How to Make a Simple and Beautiful Origami Lily
Once you master this origami lily, you can try to make more paper flowers, like an easy origami tulip flower or traditional origami camellia. When grouped together, the origami flowers look very lovely as a bouquet. You can use all one color paper and make a variety of flowers, or use multiple colored papers for the various flowers.
What You’ll Need
- 1 piece 15×15 centimeter colored paper
- Create the Origami Square BaseTo begin, get your paper ready and sit in a clear workspace with plenty of room and light for you to create your origami masterpiece. Don’t get discouraged if it takes more than one try to get it right. Keep practicing and following the steps. You will get it.Select your paper color and get ready to fold:
- Start by folding your paper in half, top to bottom and then left to right.
- Flip the paper to the other side.
- Fold the paper diagonally in half both ways and then unfold it completely.
- Flip the paper back over to the other side and rotate it.
- Bring the left and right corners inwards to the middle, then collapse the top down.
- This result is called an “Origami Square Base.”
- Fold the Base in Thirds
- Rotate the “Origami Square Base” so that the open end is at the top.
- Now imagine that the paper has been sliced into thirds so that there will be three equal slices. Fold the right edge over to the left.
- Fold the left edge over to the right.
- If the result doesn’t look like the photo, it is not right. Simply unfold and adjust until it is approximately the same. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Real flowers aren’t exactly perfect either.
- Unfold the Base and Flatten
- Unfold the paper.
- Fold the right edge to the crease you just made. Unfold.
- Open the right edge of the paper, and reverse the crease you just made. Now flatten the paper.
- Repeat the same process on the left.
- Fold the Flower Stem
- Fold the paper like a kite as indicated in the photo.
- Unfold the paper.
- Open out the little flap.
- Squash the two edges of that flap inwards.
- Flatten it out completely.
- Fold and Curl the Petals
- Fold the right side of the right section behind itself, so it looks like the photo.
- Repeat this step on the other three sides to create the flower petals.
- Carefully open out the flower.
- Very delicately use a chopstick or pencil to curl the petals. Remember that you are handling paper, so do it very carefully. You should now have a pretty origami flower. Don’t forget that origami takes practice, so do not be surprised if your first attempt is not perfect. Try again and you’ll likely find that the second attempt is better. Once you have successfully created an origami lily flower, you are ready to create more beautiful origami decorations such as an origami rose or even an origami butterfly.