Money Origami Heart Instructions
A money origami heart is one of the easiest projects for novice crafters who are interested in folding currency instead of traditional origami paper. It makes a sweet little gift for Valentine’s Day or whenever you want to say “I love you!” to someone special in your life. You can use any bill you wish for money origami, although these projects are traditionally folded from dollar bills. If you travel, folding money origami from souvenir currency can be a fun way to create a vacation memento.
Choose the crispest bills possible, as money that is worn and wrinkled is hard to fold evenly and won’t hold a distinct shape. If you can’t find crisp bills in your wallet, ask a friendly bank teller to exchange your bills.
Watch Now: How to Make an Origami Money Heart
What You’ll Need
- 1 Currency bill of any value
- Fold Your Bill in Half and Round the CornersTo begin your money origami heart, lay the dollar bill face up and smooth out any wrinkles you see. Fold it in half, creasing firmly. Fold each corner to the side so that you are creating a slightly rounded edge on the other side of the bill.
- Flip the Bill OverUnfold the bill. Turn it over. Fold the area in between the corners of the dollar. Do this for both edges.
- Fold the Top in HalfFold the top of your dollar bill in half so that top half meets the end of the area folded in the previous step. This means that on the pyramid side of the dollar bill, the folded top half should cover the word “ONE.” On the opposite side of the bill, the folded half should cover George Washington’s face.
- Form the First Half of Your Money Origami HeartFold the right side of the bill upward in half, making sure your fold is in line with the middle crease. This completed fold creates the first half of your money origami heart.
- Complete Your Dollar Origami ProjectTo finish your money origami heart, fold the left side of the bill over the right side. This direct fold will give you a distinctive heart shape. Carefully flatten any wrinkles from your bill and round the edges of the heart, if desired.
- Make a Gift Box (Optional)If you’re giving a money origami heart as a gift and want a creative presentation, nestle the heart inside a box folded from 12- x 12-inch patterned scrapbook paper. Round it out with a few small chocolates.